Monday, December 17, 2007

2007 Year In Review

2007 comes to a close and I must say that for me, it was a zillion times better than 2006. So what have I been doing all year? Well...

Having done it for a couple of years straight, I dropped out of writing interviews and articles for b-movie.com to try and concentrate more on my various movie projects and spend time with family. And it worked!

I have been shooting off and on all year on a short monster movie with my son entitled EATER. My son and his friends are featured along with myself and F&C Productions regulars like John Bowker and Amira. My son plays not only the movie's hero, Bean, but the hungry alien critter as well. We only have a few scenes left to do, but with the weather changing we'll likely need to wait until there are some leaves back on the trees to finish up. My son and his friends have a little garage band and we even recorded some songs for the movie!

Earlier this year, I purchased the rights to two segments of a werewolf anthology project that I worked on that never saw any sort of wide release. I'd directed, shot and edited one and had shot the other. Now I have rights to re-edit both and combine it with a third for a new anthology and seek distribution for it, or at least just put it out myself. I have the third segment written, but need to get a few other projects off my plate before tackling this one.

After getting Ron Ford's sequence for TWISTED FATES edited together earlier this year, I ran into computer glitches with it that I couldn't fix and eventually just had to junk it and plan to start over when I revisit the project in 2008. In the meantime, Robert J. Olin has lined up cast for the "Welcome Sister" segment and I cast local Morgan Mayhem in the role of Alice for the "Videodrone" segment.

Had an awesome road trip to the Fangoria Weekend of Horrors in Burbank, California in May, along with Rob Merickel, John Bowker and Mike Hegg. Met lots of swell folks like Eric Spudic, Michelle Fatale, Brinke Stevens, Tim Thomerson, Jay Woelfel, Jeff Dylan Graham, Jeff Leroy, Debbie Rochon and Ariauna Albright. Lots of pics at http://skullfaceastronaut.com/drsquid/fango2007.html

BLOODSUCKING REDNECK VAMPIRES got a great video review at Horrorjunk.net. The guys who run the Mid-Valley Film Festival in Salem, Oregon screened BRV at Northern Lights Theatre Pub in Salem, Oregon in June and we packed the house! I even sold a few copies of the DVD out of the trunk of my car! The Mid-Valley Film Festival guys are planning on screening TRAILER PARK DOUBLE WIDE TRILOGY OF TERROR in January '08! In August, I got word that the initial run of BRV had sold out from the distributor, Sub Rosa. In September, we held a screening up in Winlock, Washington, the town the movie was shot in. It was held in a bar and the band featured in the movie (and who composed the mmovie's theme song) played afterwards. It was awesome! I've been told it will go back for a second DVD run but likely not for a while...

Have been shooting and editing DEADLY PREMONITIONS all year. Shot sequences with Morgan Mayhem, a local belly/burlesque dancer, and with locals Darla Doom and Michelle "Ame" Mahoney, as well as a whole mess of pick-ups and insert shots and created a bunch of music, too. Aiming to finish up editing by the end off the year.

Falcon Video's ALWAYS MIDNIGHT vampire anthology came out featuring a segment written by John Bowker that I directed, shot & edited called "Tainted Blood."

Tom Shaffer shot the "TreeSpirit" segment for my long-gestating NIGEL CHEESEBALL's MONSTER FILES anthology project. Segments already shot include one about a giant bug monster featuring John Bowker and my son, a ghost story starring W.A.V.E. favorite Laura Giglio, and the Pumpkinhead-ish TreeSpirit with Tom Shaffer and Rob Merickel. I'm close to setting someone up with shooting one about another bug monster for me and hope at some point to shoot one myself about a swamp-monster-man type of thing. Once they are all done, I'll shoot a wraparound in my goofy Nigel Cheeseball persona and see how it goes together. Should be crazy!

In the summer, I shot a campy sci-fi short called STARLEEZA SATURNA vs. MOLLY THE MERCILESS with Alexandra Paris and Holly Bernabe. A no-budget Barbarella that was fun and gave me an excuse to try a few special effects plug-ins. Also got a bunch of shots of Crater Lake while on vacation in case I ever make a movie called THE CRATER LAKE CREATURE!

In October my son and I played zombies in a local stage play of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. I assisted Rob Merickel doing make-up on 20 to 30 zombies a night for 7 performances. Lots of fun, but took lots of time, too!

I shot John Bowker's PLATOON OF THE DEAD in October/November/December - my first time shooting in HD. I did camera/lights/sound and in a fit of insanity also took on food, too. Got to direct for a day and enjoy lots of great performances, cool effects and good times, but also the usual long hours and craziness from time to time. Got to work with Tom Stedham again as well as Ariauna Albright for the first time. Both were great and even crashed at my house for a couple of nights!

In December, Tempe DVD put out a double feature of THE EVILMAKER (I shot and co-edited this one) and EVILMAKER 2: ABOMINATION (I shot this one). The disc has a bunch of extra features and commentary. Sweet!

Working on a few scripts and working hard to finish projects that have been in production for a while. Hope to get lots of stuff out in 2008!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

1 comment:

steve in biloxi said...

I would be content just to have written this blog, let alone done all that in a year, Hope 2008 is even better!

There was an error in this gadget
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...