Wednesday, January 29, 2020

2019 End of the Year Wrap-Up

2019: What a year. Geez.

This blog is movie stuff for the most part, so I'll just stick to those highlights:

Amazingly, at the beginning of January I decided to make a new movie to show at Crypticon Seattle - which was the first weekend in May!

A mere four months later, DARK ZONE THIRTEEN was done and premiered at the con. A horror anthology of stories I wrote, with 4 segments directed my me and 2 by Joseph Voegele/Jon Stone and Filip Hanzek, it was a big hit!



Pick up a DVD at http://www.skullfaceastronaut.com/store

Watch right now on demand at http://skullfaceastronaut.com/vod/

Movie info, trailer and pics: http://skullfaceastronaut.com/dz13/



Extended making-of featurette about "The Doll" segment from DARK ZONE THIRTEEN (spoilers!): https://vimeo.com/359907377

I also did a cool illustrated Axemas 2 poster for director John Ward.



Also in January, I sold out of the limited edition Skullface Astronaut Box Sets!



Meanwhile, I'm sold out of DEADLY PREMONITIONS DVDs and am just about out of UNDERBELLY discs as well. Still wondering if I should get more ordered or just leave it as available on VOD only. Hmmm...

This year I was thrilled to contribute a bunch of voiceovers as well as the title character's mask for John Oak Dalton's second microcinema release, SCARECROW COUNTY.



In January my friend and fellow microbudget filmmaker Tom Shaffer passed away (you can read my tribute blog post here: https://fandcproductions.blogspot.com/2019/01/tom-shaffer-will-always-be-my-dr-mobius.html).



In February, I set up the joesherlockart.com domain for my freelance illustration and design biz.



In April, my horror short feature DIMENSION OF BLOOD (shot in 1995-96!) screened at Portland, Oregon's historic Hollywood Theater as a part of their Repressed Cinema series.



Crypticon Seattle in May was a blast! Read all about it here: http://skullfaceastronaut.com/drsquid/crypticon2019/



In June, local entertainment paper The Corvallis Advocate did a swell interview with me: https://www.corvallisadvocate.com/2019/indie-horror-filmmaker-joe-sherlock/



DARK ZONE THIRTEEN held its theatrical premiere at Portland, Oregon's historic Clinton Street Theater on Saturday, June 29, 2020!



Also in June, I did a 90-minute google hangout interview with David Strege and it was great fun going over so many of my flicks: https://youtu.be/m6TJoazc0SM

Also in June, I made a deal for a big box clamshell release of DARK ZONE THIRTEEN from Poser Rot Productions in California, and shortly after it was released, it sold out! Working on another limited edition release with them for 2020...



In July, I started shooting my latest project, THINGS 6 for Sterling Entertainment!




In August, I got THE EVILMAKER and ABOMINATION: EVILMAKER II added to the Skullface Astronaut VOD channel. Plans are afoot for DVD re-release in 2020 with a new, 20th anniversary sleeve artwork. Stay tuned!

Also in August I was a guest at Destiny City Comics' FreakyCon 5 along with indie director Tonjia Atomic and actress Jackey Neyman Jones. It was a great day! Tonjia even did a quick interview with me for her youtube series:





In August cool video shop The Gorehound's Playground in Fort Collins, Colorado showed BLOOD CREEK WOODSMAN, DARK ZONE THIRTEEN, ODD NOGGINS and THINGS 5: STRANGE MONSTERS for a cool Skullface Astronaut weekend in their theater room!



I was excited that my music was used in the campy comedy/horror feature, Zombarella's House Of Whorrors!



October saw the premiere of the "Homegrown Horrors" event - a Skullface Astronaut horror title each Tuesday night for 4 weeks in a row at Corvallis, Oregon's indie Darkside Cinema.



We had cast and crew Q and A, prize drawings and even gave out free posters at the last show:



Thanks to Mike McInally for a great chat and Mark Ylen for a great photo for this article in the Corvallis Gazette-Times about the Homegrown Horrors series:
https://www.gazettetimes.com/entertainment/movies/joe-sherlock-s-homegrown-horror-films-get-a-local-showing/article_b7c438ad-7791-509a-8b63-4e93c8c23d8b.html



Continuing the celebration of horror in October, BEYOND THE WALL OF FEAR screened at Portland, Oregon's historic Clinton Street Theater. Fun Q and A and great to see it on the big screen again.




I went to HP Lovecraft Film Fest first weekend in October and it was fantastic! Lots of fun with my buddies Mike and Rob, and special guests Roger Corman and Richard Stanley were fun and inspiring. Just plain great weekend.


Also in October, I saw Joe Bob Briggs' "How Rednecks Saved Hollywood" presentation in Portland and it was really, really great!

I am still working on THINGS 6, but a few schedules aligned in November, so I shot one segment for THINGS 7 - with lots of slime!



In December, I did Salem, Oregon's Crossroads Comic Con and had a great time.

I had some cool gigs with my garage rock band ZIPSQUID and looking forward to more in 2020.


In 2019, I got to see KISS, Iron Maiden and Steel Panther - all great shows!



So, 2020 - all I can say is I am going to try and make this a fun, successful year - making movies, making music and being thankful for great friends.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is how my friend Wesley Virgin's autobiography launches with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO.

Wesley was in the army-and shortly after leaving-he revealed hidden, "SELF MIND CONTROL" tactics that the government and others used to get anything they want.

These are the exact same methods many celebrities (notably those who "come out of nowhere") and elite business people used to become wealthy and famous.

You probably know that you utilize only 10% of your brain.

That's because most of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.

Perhaps this conversation has even taken place INSIDE your very own brain... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's brain seven years back, while driving an unregistered, beat-up garbage bucket of a car without a driver's license and with $3.20 on his banking card.

"I'm absolutely fed up with going through life check to check! Why can't I turn myself successful?"

You've been a part of those those types of thoughts, am I right?

Your success story is waiting to happen. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN WESLEY'S SECRETS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...