Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 End of the Year Wrap-Up

Another busy year is coming to a close in the ol' lab of Dr. Squid!

In the first few months of 2009, I was director of photography/sound man for writer/director John Bowker's EVIL RISING. I also helped with location work, photography, logo design & credits on top of playing a supporting role in this horror feature:

EVIL RISING was another bigger-than-expected project that took a lot of out me and was made more difficult because my wife and I were the only family caring for my father-in-law as he was dying from pancreatic cancer. That was the worst experience of my life. John postponed one big shoot, pushing it out a couple of months and for that I will be forever thankful. I've just finished a bunch of pick-up shots for John, who has a rough cut together and is looking at several months of sound work. Check stuff out at www.myspace.com/evilrisingmovie.

This year, I made more progress on my horror anthology TWISTED FATES.

I completed the video edit on the 'Welcome Sister' segment - just about done with sound effects and music.

I also finished video edit, music and sound work for the 'It Haunts'...

and the 'New Neighbor' segments! Next up, the narrator/wraparound sequence.

In the spring, I posted a ridiculously massive PLATOON OF THE DEAD production diary on my website at http://skullfaceastronaut.com/drsquid/potdblog/

The DVD was released from Tempe Video in May and included several fun extras I edited as well as a commentary track by me and John. You can pick it up on sale at www.tempevideo.com or rent it on Netflix!

We held a big premiere for it in Salem, Oregon and it was a total sell-out - the theater had to add a second showing on another screen!


Got a 90% done version of EATER together for a family and friends screening over Memorial Day Weekend. EATER is a sci-fi/horror short I've made with my son and his friends. Still need to finish that one up.

There are still just a couple of tweaks left on the DEADLY PREMONITIONS dvd.

We held a fantastic screening of it in Salem, Oregon in August and star Tom Stedham was out from Alabama for the show. A great time was had by all. Hoping my dvd guy can fix things up and I can get some copies made in 2010.


Luc Bernier and Isabelle Stephen shot the 'Beetlemaniac' segment for TRULY DREADFUL TALES up in Canada this year. I'm currently waiting on the the footage from them to edit.

Meanwhile, Matthew and Maria Aldridge are currently shooting the 'Crazed' segment in Ohio. The 'Death Nurse' and 'Treespirit' segments have been done for a bit. I am planning one more segment for this horror anthology.


In June, some buddies and I went to the Crypticon Seattle horror convention. We had a great time, saw some great screenings and met some new friends whom we eventually worked with later in the year. I posted a Crypticon Seattle 2009 trip blog on my website at http://skullfaceastronaut.com/drsquid/crypticon2009/


During the summer, John Bowker asked me to direct and shoot his latest project, a "body count' flick called BLOOD CREEK WOODSMAN. Tom Stedham flew out from Alabama to star and it's the second biggest project I've ever done next to BLOODSUCKING REDNECK VAMPIRES. Tons of shooting, huge cast, lots of effects, gallons of blood. We've been shooting off an on since the beginning of August and it's about 95% shot right now - still need to line up some pick-up and effects shoots.

John hopes to start editing by next spring, once he's done with EVIL RISING.


In the fall, I was asked to play a 'honky tonk extra' in a local vampire flick, THICKER THAN WATER. I also directed/shot/edited a sequence for New York-based filmmaker Phil Herman's latest movie, SICKENED. Heard that another movie I shot & directed a bunch of scenes for called SLEEPWALKER STRANGLER is just about ready for release.

Just a few days ago, an extensive interview with me was posted over at Smash or Trash Indie Filmmaking. Check it out at http://smashortrashindiefilmmaking.com/?page_id=556

In a year of deaths in the family, relatives in the hospital, downsizing at work, and all kinds of other crap, it is good to look back and know that I have such great friends around me who really have helped me through.

Here's to 2010 - a year in which I hope to finish up some of these long-in-production movies; attend another Crypticon Seattle convention; and eat, drink and be merry at some new screenings!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...