Saturday, July 12, 2008

Escape from Ape World

Many years back when Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes remake was out I read about the Polonia Brothers making something called Gorilla Warfare: Battle of the Apes. It was obviously a shot-on-video quickie designed to capitalize on the big budget remake. I thought to myself, "Well, heck, I could bang out a shot-on-video quickie to capitalize on the big budget remake" myself! With that in mind, I threw together this box cover mock-up:



I went as far as to come up with kind of a rough outline - a ship goes through some weird space wormhole thing and they crash on a forested planet (as I knew I could shoot out in the woods of local parks). After wandering, they get captured by some ape cops. My plan was to just buy a bunch of ape masks and shoot around town, basically having it really be like earth, just with apes instead of people. So they'd be driving cars and walking the streets and all. In the county jail, the crew would befriend an alien who'd also gotten sucked through the wormhole and they'd break out, make it back to the alien's spaceship and escape from the ape world.

After a while, it just became another half-started idea and I'd moved on to other stuff. But cool cover, eh?

In the ensuing years, I haven't been able to see the Polonia Brothers movie as it's only been released outside the U.S. But maybe some day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...