Saturday, September 06, 2008

Quark on DVD!



Awesome! I loved this show when I was a kid! Geez louise - it was on 30 years ago! Here are a few tidbits from the press release:

"All 8 Episodes Available on DVD October 14, 2008 - The crazy plot deals with the adventures of Adam Quark (Benjamin), captain of a United Galactic Sanitation Patrol ship. His cohorts include Gene/Jean, a "transmute" with male and female characteristics; a Vegeton (a highly-evolved plant-man) named Ficus; plus Andy the Android and Betty and Betty (who always argue over who's the clone of the other). Based at Space Station Perma One are Otto Palindrome and The Head. Though Quark is supposed to stick to his sanitization patrols, he and his crew often find adventure with such colorful space denizens as the evil High Gorgon (head of the villainous Gorgons), Zoltar the Magnificent, and Zargon the Malevolent."

Unfortunately, there are no special features related to Quark itself. I'm sure the powers that be would tell me, "Just shut up and be happy we even bothered to put this forgotten one-season show out on DVD," but dang it all - creator Buck Henry, stars Richard Benjamin, Tim Thomerson and Conrad Janis are all still alive and working in Hollywood. Bobby Porter is a stuntman and Patricia and Cyb Barnstable are still around, too - albeit in Kentucky. I would LOVE to have seen a featurette of interviews or commentary or something. Heck, Andy Magels has done a great job of puling together special features for the filmation releases like Jason of Star Command, and it's got the same target audience: me!

Well in any case, it's still great that it's coming out and I'll be buying my copy to replace the long lost blurry 7th-generation bootleg tape I bought at a comic convention years ago.

By the way, there is a great fansite for the show at http://quark.name

Here I am with Tim Thomerson at the 2007 Fangoria Convention in Burbank.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...